Monday, January 30, 2012

Tripod, Shutter-release Cable, Lighter Fluid

Since I want to play with the imagery of fire I chose to light some shit on fire. I had some lighter fluid lying around and some things that I din't mind setting fire too. Probably the most interesting results came from The wood structure I used, I saw in the results that fire would warp around things that weren't burning, creating an effect on the fire that seemed to give it the look reminiscent of breath. I felt that the way I was moving with the project could be better. I decided to change from a sort of hand crank design and drew inspiration from an old night light that I used to have. I remember it had sliced vents on the top in sort of a propeller configuration so it would use the heat from the light bulb to power the rest of the structure. The rising heat through the vents created motion, I think that having a sort of artificial fire powering the image of a fire to be an interesting concept. Heat is essential to both but one has to do with combustion while the other has to do with illumination. I have decided to create a basic rig for different slide collections to go into. These slides will have to do with the basic elements that are essential to human survival. I will make a slide set that has to do with shelter, for this one I want to use the imagery of fire to represent warmth and hearth. The second will represent food, for this set I want to use the imagery of a deer running. The third set will have to do with water, this set is the least developed of the bunch. Im not sure whether I should represent it with the imagery of a boat or the imagery of the actual consumption of water. My timeline for completion would probably no more than two weeks. I would spend the first week working out the logistics of getting the propeller shape at the top of the slide cylinders to work properly within the basic structure. The next week would be spent perfecting the imagery. I want to draw the images by hand using pen, pencil, and watercolors. The overall construction of the main housing structure would be made out of wooden dowels each filled with a translucent paper material, like wax paper, tracing paper, or maybe rice paper. The actual slides would be made from the same materials from above, perhaps something fully see through like cellophane or transparency paper. I think the most difficult part of this project will be figuring out the motion aspect of the night light and getting the correct look to the slides that I want to accompany it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment